With just 2 ingredients and in under 30 minutes, you can make this incredible Instant Pot Brown Rice. This rice is so fluffy, delicious, and versatile. It goes with all sorts of recipes and will please picky eaters too.
We eat rice with so many meals because it’s super easy to make, filling, and tastes fantastic too. When you need some comfort food and feel under the weather, rice is here to save the day! If you are making a casserole and need a side dish, rice will rescue you to finish the meal. It’s seriously the perfect side item to go with just about anything.
If you have kiddos at home that are extra choosy when it comes to food, odds are they won’t turn their noses up at this brown rice. And if they do, keep trying because eventually, they will end up loving it!
- Brown Rice: The reason why I choose brown rice instead of white is that it actually packs a powerful punch of nutrients. You can find fiber, protein, niacin, iron, magnesium, and more.
- Liquid: I like to use chicken stock because it tastes great. However, you can also use vegetable stock or just plain water if you’d like. All of them work well.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BROWN RICE
1. Pour the liquid of your choice and the rice into the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Add the lid to the pressure cooker.
2. Turn it to the manual setting or hit the pressure cooker button depending on your model. Then turn the time to 22 minutes and make sure it’s sealed.
3. After it’s done cooking, allow the rice to naturally release, then remove the lid.
4. Take a fork and gently fluff the rice. Serve and enjoy!
FAQS ABOUT INSTANT POT BROWN RICE
CAN I MAKE BROWN RICE FOR A CROWD?
Sure! It’s pretty simple to make multiple helpings of rice. You can make several batches at once, but you need to keep in mind that you can’t fill the instant pot more than the max level. Otherwise, it will cause a giant mess, and liquid will escape from the seal. So, if you need to feed tons of people, I recommend using multiple pots or working in batches. You can keep the rice warm by placing it in a slow cooker on warm and keeping a lid on it. You will need to add a liner to the slow cooker, so it doesn’t burn.
WHAT IS THE RATIO OF RICE TO WATER?
The ratio is going to be 1 cup of liquid for 1 cup of rice. If you don’t add enough water, the rice isn’t going to cook properly. And if you add too much rice, then the liquid isn’t going to absorb all the way.
WHY DID I GET A BURN NOTICE?
It can be common to get a burn notice when cooking some foods. This simply means that some of the food got stuck to the bottom of the instant pot. You will need to take a wooden spoon or spatula and scrape the bottom of the pot. Then you can resume cooking.
Don’t be too alarmed if this happens; it’s a mechanism that is built into Instant Pots to help prevent your food from burning. When you pour in the liquid and the rice, be sure to give it a quick stir, so none of the rice is stuck to the bottom of the pot, this will help prevent it from having a burn notice.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH BROWN RICE?
The options are endless because brown rice goes with so many wonderful recipes. I wanted to share a few ideas so you can get the most out of it.
- Burritos or Tacos: If one thing makes your tacos and burritos taste better, it’s rice! It’s a fantastic filler and also adds some great texture and flavor too.
- Stuffed Peppers: We are practically obsessed with stuffed peppers. Consider adding this rice to your favorite recipe! Or try out my Vegan Stuffed Peppers Recipe.
- Soups: I love adding rice to soup recipes. It makes them even more satisfying. Keep in mind you should add it when the soup is basically done, so the rice doesn’t get too soft or mushy.
- Quiche: You’ll be smacking your lips and will be ready for the next bite when you add this brown rice to your quiche recipe.
HOW DO YOU STORE COOKED RICE?
When it comes to storing rice, you need to make sure that it’s cooled down and stored quickly after being cooked. Otherwise, it can develop bacteria that can make you ill. After the rice is cooled, add a lid that fits tightly and place it in the fridge. It will last 1-2 days, and you can reheat it in the microwave. When reheating, make sure it’s steaming hot before serving to kill any bacteria that has developed.
Because we love rice so much, I add it to a lot of dishes. I wanted to share some of my popular recipes that call for rice. Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup, Leftover Turkey and Wild Rice Soup, and Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash.
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating below! It’s so helpful for other readers to see which recipes are tried and true! I’d also love to see it–share your photo of this dish and tag me on Instagram, and I’ll feature you!
If you love healthy Instant Pot recipes, check out my cookbook, I Love My Instant Pot Anti-Inflammatory Diet Recipe Book!Print
Instant Pot Brown Rice
Make perfect brown rice every time with no babysitting with this Instant Pot recipe.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Total Time: 24 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: recipes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water
- Place the rice and stock/water in the inner pot of the Instant Pot pressure cooker and secure the lid.
- Press the manual or pressure cook button and adjust the time to 22 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, let the pressure release naturally until float valve drops and then unlock the lid.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 194
- Sugar: 0.9 grams
- Fat: 2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 grams
- Carbohydrates: 33.3 grams
- Fiber: 1.6 grams
- Protein: 5.1 grams
Keywords: Instant Pot Brown Rice
Please note that links to products are affiliate links! Thank you!