This Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe is the ultimate party food. Creamy, slightly sweet, and savory dip is a must-have if you are hosting a party or are heading out to a barbecue. No one is going to resist this luscious dip!
Anyone else miss entertaining? I love entertaining and a huge part of the fun is serving lots of delicious food. There is a reason why it’s said that the kitchen is the heart of the home. Our guests will always gather around the food and enjoy the appetizers, like this caramelized onion dip.
I like making dips because they are super simple, and everyone is happy to gobble it up. Plus, you can dip veggies, chips, or bread in it, so there is lots of variety. If you love dips, don’t forget to try out my Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip and my Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip, too.
The secret to this onion dip is making homemade caramelized onions. They are the perfect addition and really give you a bold and robust flavor. It’s hard to resist taste-testing the dip before guests arrive, but don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone if you eat it ahead of time. 🙂
- Caramelized Onions – I could eat these caramelized onions by the spoonful because they are seriously that incredible. I’ll let you try for yourself to decide.
- Sour Cream & Cream Cheese – The dip base is made with a combination of cream cheese and sour cream. Make sure to soften the cream cheese before you begin, so it mixes well.
- Parsley – Not only does parsley delicious, but it’s also full of nutrients too. It has vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, potassium, and calcium.
- Salt & Pepper – To enhance the way the dip tastes, you’ll need a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Garlic Powder – I love the way the dip turns out when adding garlic powder. I think you will enjoy it too!
HOW TO MAKE CARAMELIZED ONION DIP
1. Begin by caramelizing onions; this can be done up to 3 days ahead of time.
2. Let the onions cool down.
3. Combine the sour cream, cream cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder in your food processor. Mix until it’s creamy and smooth.
4. Mix the caramelized onions with the cream cheese mixture. Combine with the food processor until they are combined. Leave a few larger onion pieces to add to the texture.
5. Place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
FAQS ABOUT CARAMELIZED ONION DIP
WHAT DO YOU DIP IN ONION DIP?
The options are endless when it comes to dipping choices with this onion dip. Here are our top choices.
- Veggies: Any kind of fresh veggie will go great with this onion dip. Try celery, carrots, bell pepper slices, or cucumbers.
- Potato Chips: You could make homemade chips or buy your favorite variety to use. It’s just important to use chips that are strong enough to hold the dip.
- Bread & Pretzels: Any kind of crunchy breadsticks, mini toasts, or pretzels will be amazing. Try them all and see what you like best.
- Crackers: Another favorite is crackers. Club crackers, wheat crackers, or even Triscuits would be pretty yummy.
CAN I MAKE DIP WITHOUT FOOD PROCESSOR?
Yep! You can easily make it without the food processor; it’s just a little bit more work. You will need to chop the parsley and combine it with the cream cheese and sour cream. You can use a hand mixer or use a spoon with your hand. You’ll need to chop the onions before mixing them with the cream cheese mixture.
CAN I MAKE CARAMELIZED ONION DIP FOR A CROWD?
Absolutely! This dip recipe will serve around 8 people depending on how much everyone eats. So, if you are hosting a larger event, you can double or even triple the recipe. You will most likely need to work in batches unless you have an extra-large food processor.
HOW LONG DOES HOMEMADE ONION DIP LAST?
Typically, the homemade dip will last around 5 days. It will need to be kept in the fridge except for when you are serving it. If you are hosting a party and it’s going to be out for several hours, I recommend keeping it on ice, so it doesn’t spoil. When storing leftover dip, make sure it has a tight-fitting lid, so it’s airtight.
Store-bought versions of this dip may last longer, but they are also loaded with preservatives and other yucky stuff that isn’t good for you. Making it at home, the dip may not last as long, but you will know exactly what goes in it.
IS CARAMELIZED ONION DIP GLUTEN-FREE?
Yes, all of the ingredients that go into this caramelized onion dip is gluten-free. It’s a delicious gluten-free snack that is perfect any time you need something.
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating below! It’s so helpful for other readers to see which recipes are tried and true! I’d also love to see it–share your photo of this dish and tag me on Instagram, and I’ll feature you!Print