This Vegan Banana Bread is moist, flavorful, and easy to make with just 8 main ingredients!
Is there anyone in the world who doesn’t love banana bread? Do they actually exist? Even my husband, Tim, who doesn’t typically love banana-flavored things, is big fan of banana bread.
I made you a vegan banana bread because I always get so many questions about how to make my non-vegan baked goods vegan. (And gluten free, but, you know, one thing at a time…)I challenge anyone to detect that this is a loaf of vegan banana bread. It’s not too dense, perfectly moist (only appropriate word here; sorry…), and has incredible banana flavor.
Healthy Vegan Banana Bread
This vegan banana bread is healthier than most banana bread recipes you’ll find. It’s got less sugar, uses one of the healthiest oils, avocado oil, whole grain flour, and also has ground flaxseed meal.
Yet, it doesn’t taste like you’re eating “healthy food.” Nothing makes my heart happier than when I create a healthy recipe that tastes just as delicious as any other recipe you may try.
You’ll be happy and satisfied with this vegan banana bread recipe.
How to Make Vegan Banana Bread
It’s very easy to make vegan banana bread. You just need to have an egg substitute as everything else in traditional banana bread recipes are naturally vegan. I like to use ground flaxseed here as it lends its natural nutty flavor. Applesauce would probably work as well, but I haven’t tested it here.
Another trick to making a moist vegan banana bread is to add some apple cider vinegar to the non-dairy milk. This makes the milk act like buttermilk, which lends a soft and tender texture to baked goods.
Let’s make vegan banana bread!Print
Vegan Banana Bread
Easy and flavorful, this healthy vegan banana bread will be a new favorite recipe for anyone who tries it!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (from about 3 large very ripe bananas)
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup nondairy milk* + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (allow to sit for 5 minutes before using)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup avocado oil**
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sucanat or regular sugar
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or AP flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 X 5 loaf pan and set aside.
- In one bowl, mix together the mashed banana, ground flaxseed, nondairy milk+ apple cider vinegar mixture, maple syrup, avocado oil, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, use a whisk to combine the sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, until the banana bread is set and the top spring back when you touch it. (Mine is typically perfect after 45 minutes.) Allow the bread to cool on a rack before slicing.
*I prefer unsweetened almond milk
**melted coconut oil may be substituted for avocado oil
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 14 grams
- Fat: 19 grams
- Carbohydrates: 31 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
If you make this healthy Vegan Banana Bread recipe, or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe, I would LOVE to see it! Please take a pic and share it on Instagram or the Happy Healthy Mama Facebook page and tag me @happyhealthymama ?
Also, if you try this recipe, would you mind rating the recipe with stars when you leave a comment? It’s VERY helpful for me and other readers if the recipes have ratings and reviews. I appreciate you!
If you’d like to save this recipe for later, here’s an image to save to your Pinterest recipe board!