These Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats have a vegan taco mixture made with mushrooms and lentils and are bursting with flavor.
Here’s how life is going lately. I’ve had this recipe and photos ready to post for at least three weeks. Although I’ve had a lot of frustrating events out of my control, I’m practicing focusing on the good and gratitude. So I’m just going to be happy to share this recipe for Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats today.
I’m hoping to get back to posting new recipes more regularly, so keep checking back!
If you’re looking for a healthy and easy vegan and gluten-free dinner idea, this is it! If you love tacos this is a fun twist on taco night and it’s easy to swap out the meat and use protein and iron-packed lentils in its place.
I left off the cheese to keep this dairy-free and vegan, but it certainly would be delicious with some shredded cheese melted on top.
Recipe Ingredients–What you Need
- 2 large or 4 smaller zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups chopped baby bella or white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado, cheese
How to Make Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the ends off of the zucchinis and then cut them in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the inside pulp of the zucchinis and finely chop the pulp.
- Set the zucchini boats on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Add the onions, mushrooms, zucchini pulp, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened and the mushrooms and zucchini pulp release their liquid and cook down, about 7 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning and stir to combine well. Allow this mixture to gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the lentil taco mixture evenly to the inside of the zucchini boats. Cook in the preheated over for 20-25 minutes, until the zucchini is tender.
- Serve with optional toppings. Enjoy!
What to Serve with Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
These make a low-calorie main course, so add one or more of these side dishes to make a filling vegan meal!
- Zesty Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Dipping Sauce
- Chickpea Salad
- Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup with Zucchini and Corn
- Vegan Corn Chowder
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
You might also want to check out my Vegan Meatballs recipe!
If you try this or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe, it would mean so much to have you leave a star rating. It helps readers see which recipes are tried and true and also helps my recipes get found more easily. Thank you!Print