These Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts are an easy and flavorful weeknight dinner idea. They’re stuffed and seasoned to perfection!
Who doesn’t love chicken? It can be eaten in so many different ways, and I think I found one of my favorite ways to enjoy it. I am 100% in the camp of there’s always room for another chicken breast recipe. Agree?
I think I could eat this Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast every night for dinner and be happy. There’s so many tasty flavors going on, I just can’t wait to take the next bite. It’s a restaurant-quality dinner recipe that will impress your whole family, but still fits into the ever-important category of easy recipes! You could even serve this at your next dinner party!
My kids aren’t really into asparagus, but they ate this up. Cheesy asparagus for the win!
- Chicken Breasts– Chicken Breasts are an excellent source of lean protein.
- Seasonings– Italian seasoning blend, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper make the best seasoning combination that gives these Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts delicious flavor.
- Asparagus Spears– Fresh asparagus contains so many nutrients such as fiber, folate, and vitamins A, C, and K.
- Baby Swiss Cheese– Baby Swiss cheese tastes so delicious with the other ingredients. It contains both protein and calcium.
- Avocado Oil– I like to use avocado oil because it’s filled with vitamin E and is so much healthier than other options. However, you are welcome to use olive oil or any other oil you like.
How to make Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix all of your seasonings together.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with the seasoning mix. Place the asparagus spears and cheese on one side of the chicken breast, and fold the other side over. Use toothpick to secure it.
- In a large skillet (Make sure it’s an oven-safe skillet. I like to use a cast iron skillet), heat the oil over medium-high heat. Place the chicken breasts in the pan and sear it until it is golden brown on each side. This usually takes about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the skilled to the preheated oven and continue to cook the chicken until it is cooked throughly. The internal temperature taken with a meat thermometer should reach 165 degrees which should take 15-20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast FAQS
Do I have to use Baby Swiss Cheese?
Baby Swiss is lighter and has a sweeter taste than regular Swiss cheese. If you would prefer, you could use regular Swiss cheese. There are a lot of other types of cheese you can substitute as well! Mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese are both good options. Goat cheese like I use in this Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast would be a good match here, also. I also think parmesan cheese would work well!
What sides go well with this dish?
I think this dish would go well with a side of quinoa, instant pot brown rice, or Ginger Jasmine Rice. It would also go well with some balsamic roasted vegetables.
Can this boneless chicken breast recipe be made ahead of time?
While it’s best fresh out of the oven, if you’d like this to be a meal prep recipe, store the cooked stuffed chicken breast in an airtight container and each one can be reheated in the microwave, oven, or air fryer when you’re ready to eat them!
Recipe Variations for Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- You can make this spicy if you prefer some heat! I would recommend adding some cayenne pepper to your seasoning mix for a kick.
- I think this would be great with a touch of lemon juice and lemon zest at the end.
- Add some balsamic vinegar to the skillet when you’re searing the chicken breasts. Have fun with this recipe!
Looking for another asparagus recipe? Try my Baked Asparagus with Lemon and Parmesan. Looking for other chicken dinner ideas? Try my Chicken and Broccoli, One Pan Chicken and Vegetables with Fresh Herbs or my Honey Garlic Chicken recipe.
I hope you enjoy this chicken recipe and all my healthy recipes! If you try it or any other recipe, please leave a star rating below! It’s so helpful for other readers to see which recipes are tried and true! I’d also love to see it–share your photo of this dish and tag me on Instagram, and I’ll feature you! Let me know if this one gets added to your favorite recipes list. It’s on mine!Print
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are well seasoned and stuffed with asparagus and cheese. It’s a restaurant-quality dinner that’s actually quick and easy!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied*
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 asparagus spears, woody ends removed
- 4 slices baby Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Italian seasoning blend, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with the seasoning blend. Place the asparagus and cheese on one side of the chicken breast, and fold the other side over it. Secure it with toothpicks.
- In a large, oven-safe skillet (I like to use a cast iron skillet) heat the oil over medium high heat. Place the chicken in the pan and sear it until it is browned on each side, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and continue to cook the chicken until it is cooked throughly and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!
Pro Tip: (And by pro, I mean pro busy mom who likes to make life as easy as possible) You can purchase chicken breasts that have already been butterflied. If you can’t find them, ask the butcher to do it for you! If you find yourself needing to do it yourself, here are instructions:
To butterfly your chicken breast, first, start with a sharp knife. This is key. Place your hand on top of the chicken breast, slice horizontally into the chicken, dividing it half. Stop about a half-inch from the opposite side, being careful not to cut all the way through. When finished, you should be able to open up the chicken like a book so it lies flat.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dinner recipes
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 221
- Sugar: 1 g.
- Sodium: 648.4 mg.
- Fat: 16.6 g.
- Carbohydrates: 3.6 g.
- Fiber: 1.5 g.
- Protein: 15.2 g.
- Cholesterol: 46.7 mg.
Keywords: asparagus stuffed chicken breast
Kailynn Pike says
We love this recipe!