This Vegan Mexican Stuffed Peppers recipe was developed for Crock-Pot® brand and this post is sponsored by Mirum Shopper.
This meal has all of my favorite characteristics: it’s healthy, it’s plant-based with vibrant vegetables, and has bold flavor. I also love that it’s hearty enough to fill up even my 6′ 3″ husband. Winning all around.
I made these stuffed peppers in my Crock-Pot® slow cooker. The slow cooker is an excellent tool for healthy meals. Why? Because slow cooking is amazing way to allow flavor to develop! The best way to turn someone off of healthy eating is to serve them bland, boring food. These Vegan Mexican Stuffed Peppers are anything but boring. They are bursting with my favorite Mexican flavors and can be made as spicy as you like.
Start with four large bell peppers and cut them in half. I found that cooking them in half worked great to get the peppers perfectly tender. Eating them this way is easier, also.
Prep your stuffing mixture, which is a lovely mix of cooked quinoa, black beans, corn, salsa, and spices. The salsa will dictate some of the flavor, so choose a salsa you love with the amount of spiciness you prefer.
Once you stuff each pepper half with the mixture, you can place them in the slow cooker. I used a 6-quart Crock-Pot® slow cooker and had to layer them a bit. Not a problem at all.
Cook on high for three hours. The Crock-Pot® slow cooker will automatically switch to warming mode at the end of the cooking time.
After the peppers cook, they are topped with an avocado sauce where sour cream might normally be used and fresh cilantro. These toppings bring it together perfectly and shouldn’t be left out!
You’re going to fall in love with your slow cooker when you make these Vegan Mexican Stuffed Peppers. They deliver everything you are looking for in a healthy dinner.
For more amazing recipes you can make in your slow cooker, check out the Crock-Pot® recipe index.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2½ cups salsa
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large bell peppers (any color), tops, seeds, and veins removed, and cut in half
- 1 very large or 2 smaller avocados
- juice from 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
- In a large bowl, mix together the first 9 ingredients well.
- Fill each pepper half with the quinoa mixture.
- Place each pepper half in the slow cooker and cook on high for three hours.
- While the peppers are cooking, prepare the avocado topping. Mash the avocado well in a bowl. Add the lime juice, hot sauce, and salt and whisk until very smooth. Add enough water to thin it to your preference (start with a teaspoon or so).
- Serve the peppers with avocado sauce, chopped cilantro, and lime wedges.
Sponsored post by Mirum Shopper. All opinions are my own.