Incredibly easy and tasty, these Homemade Pretzels are made with just a few simple ingredients and no yeast is needed!
Anyone else spending all of their time while the Stay At Home orders are in effect eating all the carbs?
I didn’t think so.
There’s actually a large gap between the time I made and photographed this recipe and the time I’m publishing it. When the calendar changed from April to May, I think I left the need for carbs upon carbs behind. Maybe.
Nevertheless, this recipe is a keeper and it’ll be used many times in the future.
Who can resist homemade soft pretzels? Not this girl.
The recipe is based on the popular Weight Watchers 2-ingredient dough. Have you seen it or tried it? It’s super easy to memorize.
Weight Watchers 2-Ingredient Dough
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup non-fat Greek Yogurt
I’ve seen this basic recipe turned into pizza dough, bagels, dinner rolls, and more. You can get creative and make so much with it…including homemade pretzels!
I made some adjustments to the original “recipe.” First, I never have self-rising flour on hand, so my recipe for homemade pretzels includes baking powder and salt. Second, I wanted to make my pretzels with some whole grain flour (so I could at least call them semi-healthy….follow me here?) instead of all white flour. I also added the step of dipping the dough in hot water mixed with baking soda for a more authentic taste and texture.
We were so happy with the results! And what a fun baking project to do with the kids! Are you ready to see the steps? I’m telling you…these are the EASIEST Homemade Pretzels ever! You’ve got to try them.
Recipe Ingredients-What You Need
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water + 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- coarse salt (optional)
How to Make Homemade Pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- The the bowl of your stand mixture, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the yogurt to the bowl and use a spoon to mix them together until they form a crumbly dough.
- Use the paddle attachment of your mixer and knead the dough on medium speed until it becomes one ball and pulls away from the bowl.
- Divide the dough into four equal balls.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a long rope. Shape them into pretzels.
- Bring 4 cups of water and the baking soda to a boil in a small saucepan. Once it comes to a boil, remove from heat.
- Gently place the pretzels, one at a time, in the hot baking soda-water mixture for 30 seconds, and then place them on the baking sheet.
- Brush each pretzel with the egg and then sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 10-13 minutes.
I sure hope you love these soft pretzels as much as we did! It’s definitely a treat to have a soft, delicious pretzel straight from the oven. And I must say, staying home seems a lot nicer with these. Agree?
If you give them a try, please let me know and give this recipe a star rating below! It’s so helpful for other readers and also helps my recipes get found easier. I appreciate you so much.Print