Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
This creamy Sweet Potato Soup is made with sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and kale and is vegan and gluten free.
- Author: Maryea Flaherty of Happy Healthy Mama
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: soup recipes
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or oil of choice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into cubes
- 1 cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 32 ounces vegetable stock/broth
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 cups finely chopped kale
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, cauliflower, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock/broth, coconut milk, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove half of the soup and transfer to a large blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the blended soup back in the pot with the rest of the soup and return to the heat.
- Over medium heat, add the kale to the pot and stir until it is soft and wilted. Taste and add any salt or pepper as needed. Enjoy!
If you don’t want or need a vegan soup, you can use half and half or heavy cream in place of coconut milk.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 277
- Sugar: 10.2 grams
- Fat: 19.7 grams
- Saturated Fat: 11.6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 25 grams
- Fiber: 4.3 grams
- Protein: 4.6 grams
Keywords: Sweet Potato Soup