This easy and healthy Marinara Sauce with Chickpeas and Kale is hearty and delicious! It can be served with so many different things, you’ll use this recipe over and over.
If you ask me what my dinner dreams are made of, I’d answer Marinara Sauce with Chickpeas and Kale. Actually, just about anything with tomatoes and Italian seasoning is a win in my book.
Marinara sauce is nice, but we give it a major upgrade by adding chickpeas and kale. Between the two, we’re getting extra iron, calcium, potassium, folate, protein, zinc, fiber, and vitamins A, K, and C. How’s that for a nutrient-dense, plant-based dinner? BAM.
This sauce is so incredibly easy to make and full of deep, robust flavor. It’s surprising that it only has to simmer for about 20 minutes and is still flavorful.
So what do we actually do with this sauce….we aren’t eating it like a soup. (Although I might consider that…)
How to Serve Marinara Sauce with Chickpeas and Kale
The first and second time I made this I served it with spaghetti squash that I cooked in the Instant Pot.
I really enjoyed this combination and think I’ll serve it this way a lot.
I’m dreaming of all the other ways you could serve this yummy sauce, too, though. Regular pasta of any shape would be great. Simmer eggs in the sauce for breakfast. It would be delicious in a filling for a stuffed zucchini boat. Why not use it for the sauce in this vegetarian Skillet Lasagna? So many choices!
Please let me know how you decide to serve this when you make it. I can’t wait to hear!Print
Marinara Sauce with Chickpeas and Kale
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
This easy-to-make Marinara Sauce with Chickpeas and Kale is perfect to top spaghetti squash, pasta, and so much more!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 leaves latticino kale, stems removed and chopped
- In a large skillet or stockpot over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and let it cook another 30 seconds-1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning blend, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer, gently, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped kale and allow it to simmer until it wilts, a few minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: recipes
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 192
- Sugar: 4.6 grams
- Fat: 5.6 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 29.2 grams
- Fiber: 8.5 grams
- Protein: 9.1 grams
Keywords: Marinara Sauce
You might enjoy these plant-based dinners, as well.
Delicious. Thank you!
mayank sahu says
thanks a lot