Bring your quesadilla game to the next level with these Zucchini and Gruyere Grilled Quesadillas! They’re easy, delicious, and filled with nutrition!
Quesadillas are my go-to when it comes to needing a quick and easy meal. Everyone loves quesadillas, and they’re so simple to make!
One of my favorite things about this meatless quesadilla is the gruyere cheese! It’s so rich, creamy, and has a delicious nutty flavor.
Ever thought to add zucchini? Quesadillas on their own don’t contain much nutrition, but adding zucchini provides so many health benefits! They contain lots of nutrients, antioxidants, and can even contribute to healthy digestion. Not to mention it’s a great way to eat seasonally when zucchini is abundant.
If you have kids, you might be thinking the same thing I did. There’s no way my kids are gonna eat a quesadilla with zucchini in it. You’d be surprised. My kids aren’t the biggest zucchini fans, but I can get them to eat it if it’s in a zucchini quesadilla. If yours won’t go for it, you can always leave the zucchini out and have more for yourself 😉
You only need a few simple ingredients for this easy Grilled Zucchini Quesadillas recipe!
- Zucchini– Zucchini adds so much nutrition to these meatless quesadillas. They are high in vitamin A and contain lots of antioxidants.
- Olive Oil– Olive Oil is great for cooking. You can also use avocado oil if you would like.
- Salt and Pepper– The only seasonings you need for the perfect amount of flavor!
- Whole Grain Tortillas– Whole Grain Tortillas have more nutrients than tortillas made with white flour. They also contain vitamin B and iron!
- Dijon Mustard– Dijon mustard adds great flavor. It brings this meal from good to great!
- Gruyere Cheese– Gruyere Cheese is super rich and creamy which is perfect for quesadillas. It has a delicious, nutty flavor that is irresistible.
How to make Grilled Zucchini Quesadillas
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Cut the zucchini length-wise in quarters and then slice it into small triangles.
- In a large skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir the zucchini around to coat it with the oil, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté the zucchini until it’s tender and just starting to brown (about 6-10 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Bring all of your ingredients close to the grill. Place one tortilla on the grill and let it heat for 1-2 minutes. This warms one side of the tortilla so the cheese melts easily.
- Using a spatula, flip the tortilla over and add mustard to it. I squeeze it on straight from the bottle!
- Use a pastry brush to spread the mustard to the edges of the tortilla evenly.
- Add the cheese and allow it to melt a little.
- Once the cheese is starting to melt, add the cooked zucchini and add the second tortilla to the grill.10. Flip the second tortilla on top of the one with toppings and press it down with the spatula to flatten it if necessary.
- Allow the quesadilla to cook another minute on that side, and then flip it to the other side and let it cook an additional 1-3 minutes.
11. Repeat this process with the rest of the tortillas. Cut the Grilled Zucchini Quesadilla into wedges and enjoy!
Zucchini Grilled Quesadillas FAQS
Can I add other vegetables?
Of course! You can make it your own and add whatever veggies you’d like. Onion, tomato, and spinach are great options!
Can I substitute the gruyere cheese?
Any kind of swiss cheese would be a delicious substitute in these quesadillas, and you can also try sharp cheddar!
What sauce would go well with these?
Salsa, guacamole, and sour cream are popular quesadilla sauces. If you like spice, try my homemade buffalo sauce!
Do I have to use the grill for these?
It’s fun to grill these in the summertime, but you can definitely make them without a grill. Just follow the instructions as written and use a pan and cook the quesadillas on your stovetop.
What sides go well with these quesadillas?
Any sort of vegetable side dish or rice would be delicious with these quesadillas! I also love my Mexican Chopped Salad as a side dish here!
I hope you enjoy this Quesadilla Recipe and all my healthy recipes! If you try it or any other recipe, please leave a star rating below! It’s so helpful for other readers to see which recipes are tried and true!
I’d also love to see it–share your photo of this dish and tag me on Instagram, and I’ll feature you! Let me know if this one gets added to your favorite recipes list. It’s on mine!
Please make sure to check out my list of the Best Healthy Zucchini Recipes, too!Print