These Buffalo Tofu Nuggets are the perfect plant-based meal. They have a delicious, crispy texture and flavor you won’t be able to resist! Give these Vegan Chicken Nuggets a try today!
Chicken Nuggets bring me back to my childhood. Anyone else? I remember putting some frozen, store-bought popcorn chicken in the microwave, dunking them in my favorite sauce, and thinking they’re the best thing ever. Now I have a son who loves chicken nuggets. I do have a recipe for homemade chicken nuggets, but I decided to switch things up and make the best vegan chicken nuggets.
The first time I made this tofu recipe, my whole family finished them in minutes! The crispy coating and mouth-watering flavor is an unbeatable combination.
The tofu contains lots of nutrition. It’s low in calories, and high in protein. What more could you ask for?!
Simple Ingredients Needed:
- Tofu– Tofu is the star ingredient in this vegan chicken nuggets recipe. It’s a good source of plant-based protein, and it contains all nine essential amino acids. Extra firm tofu is the best meat substitute which is perfect for this recipe.
- Corn starch– Corn starch creates a crispy coating which is the best texture.
- Non-Dairy Milk– I like to use unsweetened almond, oat milk, soy milk, or homemade vegan buttermilk, but any will do!
- Panko Bread Crumbs– Panko Breadcrumbs are the best crispy coating for these buffalo tofu nuggets.
- Oil– I like to use olive oil, but you can use any oil you have on hand!
- Seasonings– Paprika, salt, and garlic powder is the perfect combination that creates the best flavor. You can also add some onion powder or nutritional yeast for an extra flavor boost if you’d like!
- Vegan Butter– Plant-based butter is lower in saturated fats than regular butter.
- Hot Sauce– It wouldn’t be buffalo sauce without the hot sauce. It brings the perfect kick!
- White Vinegar– White vinegar acts as a natural preservative, and will keep the buffalo sauce from oxidizing.
- Worcestershire Sauce– Just the right amount adds deep flavor which brings the sauce to the next level.
How to make Vegan Chicken Nuggets
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees f and grease a baking tray with cooking oil.
- Use paper towels or a clean kitchen towel to absorb excess water from the tofu block. You can also use a tofu press if you have one. Chop your tofu into bite-size pieces. Irregular pieces will resemble more of a chicken appearance.
- Put 1/3 cup cornstarch in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, mix your non-dairy milk, 2 tbs. cornstarch, 1 tsp. paprika, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. garlic powder. In a third bowl, combine your panko bread crumbs and 1 tbs cornstarch.
- Coat each piece of tofu with the cornstarch, then the non-dairy milk mixture, and then the bread crumb mixture. To create the best crispy baked tofu nuggets, make sure to coat each tofu piece evenly.
- Place the nuggets in a single layer on a baking sheet layered with parchment paper. Drizzle some oil on top of them to make them golden brown.
- Bake at 20 minutes at 400 degrees f, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- To make the buffalo sauce, melt the butter in a medium bowl, add the rest of the simple ingredients, and combine.
- Place the nuggets in the sauce, toss, and enjoy! Store extra nuggets in an airtight container to keep them from getting dry!
Buffalo Tofu Nuggets FAQS
Can I use a different sauce?
Of course! If you’re not too much of a spicy fan, you can always use barbecue, teriyaki, or any other sauce you’d like!
Why is my tofu so mushy?
Tofu typically comes packaged in water to prevent it from drying out. You can pat it using paper towels or use a tofu press if you have one. One method to press tofu I like to use is wrapping the block of tofu in a clean kitchen towel, putting a plate on top of it, and weighing it down using a heavy object to extract excess water. (Read all the details in my Grilled Barbecue Tofu post.)
What dipping sauces are the best with these meatless nuggets?
I like to use a variety of my favorite sauces. Vegan ranch is probably my favorite combination with the buffalo. You can also keep the homemade buffalo sauce on the side and use it as a dipping sauce along with bbq sauce and dijon mustard.
Do I have to Bake them?
You can also fry them using an air fryer or in a large skillet with oil.
What can I substitute for panko breadcrumbs?
You can use a food processor to crush up some corn flakes or potato chips which would be a delicious substitute to the panko breadcrumbs. For a gluten-free option, you could use almond flour.
I hope you enjoy these Vegan Chicken Nuggets and all my healthy recipes! If you try it or any other recipe, please leave a star rating below! It’s so helpful for other readers to see which recipes are tried and true! I’d also love to see it–share your photo of this dish and tag me on Instagram, and I’ll feature you! Let me know if this one gets added to your favorite recipes list. It’s on mine!Print