Crave nachos but trying to eat healthy? No problem! These Healthy Mini Bell Pepper Nachos are for you. I put out a request for healthy recipe makeovers, and one reader asked for a healthy nachos recipe. I knew I had my work cut out for me.
When I try to take a recipe that is traditionally nutritionally void and make it healthier, I strive to keep the essence of the dish. I think I did that here. I took away everything that makes nachos junk food, but focused on the flavor and experience of eating nachos and made all the ingredients ones that add to rather than detract from your health.
This is one plate of nachos that is filled with vegetables and plant-based goodness!
Let’s take a look at what we’re dealing with.
We start with mini bell peppers. These are acting as the chips. They are the perfect size for picking up and eating with your hands.
Instead of meat, I included a mix of seasoned black beans and onions. They add that Mexican flavor you’re craving.
Next, we have some homemade pico de gallo. It’s quick to put together and adds so much fresh flavor to these healthy nachos.
I also added some homemade vegan nacho cheese sauce. YES!
You can load the rest up with as many more toppings as you wish. I added avocado because, well, everything is better with avocado.
These are messy, as nachos should be, but you can still pick them up with your hands.
We broil these just for a few minutes so everything is hot and the peppers get slightly cooked, but are still crisp for that chip-like crunch. (No they aren’t crunchy like chips, but you know what I mean….)
I suggest serving them directly on the baking sheet you use to prepare them, as transferring them might be tricky. ENJOY these Healthy Mini Bell Pepper Nachos!Print
Healthy Mini Bell Pepper Nachos (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
All of the ingredients in these Healthy Mini-Bell Pepper Nachos contribute to better health! Vegan and gluten-free, these are a healthy snack everyone can enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 12
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 lb bag sweet mini bell peppers, cut in half and veins and seeds removed
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 onion, diced (divided)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 10 ounce container grape tomatoes, cut in fourths (or in half, depending on size)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- juice from one lime
- 1 whole jalapeno, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Vegan Nacho Cheese sauce (recipe linked to in text of blog post–I’m sorry I’m not able to link here)
- 1 whole avocado, pitted and diced
- Place your mini bell peppers on a baking sheet.
- Heat up your avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add half of the onion and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes
- Add the beans, chili powder, paprika, cumin, crushed red pepper, and salt and stir to combine.
- Cook until the beans are warm, about 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Make your pico de gallo. Mix together the tomatoes, cilantro, the other half of the onion, lime juice, jalapeno, and salt. Mix well.
- Add a small amount of the bean mixture to the halved mini peppers. Then, add a small amount of the pico de gallo to each pepper. Top with the Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler and broil the sheet of nachos for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the diced avocado and any additional toppings you prefer. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 78
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 260mg
- Fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrates: 8.75g
- Protein: 2.1g