Not only does this dinner taste fantastic, but it can also be quick and easy, ready in 20 minutes. I say “can be” because if you have cooked rice and butternut squash ready, it comes together quickly and you can have a healthy dinner, super fast.
Even if you don’t have cooked rice and butternut squash, while it takes a little longer, that part is totally hands-off preparation and it’s still an easy dinner.
I’ve made this both with and without chicken, and it’s great both ways. I’m including the chicken version in the recipe because that’s what Tim prefers (typical husband, right?), but it’s easily made vegan by leaving it out and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
This recipe was inspired by my vegan butternut squash enchiladas, which I can’t have while I’m not eating gluten. I love that recipe, it’s easily one of my favorites, but I might like this one even better.Print
Butternut squash rice bowl
A tasty rice bowl that the whole family will love
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 70 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (1 cup dry+2 cups water)
- 2 cups cooked butternut squash (about 1/2 of a very large squash)
- 2 cups cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped (about 1 1/2 pounds), optional
- 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, or oil of choice
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice, optional
- If you already have your butternut squash, rice, and chicken cooked, skip this paragraph. If not, read on. To cook your squash, cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. Place it face down on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees until it is fork tender, 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the squash. Once the squash is cooked you should be able to scoop the flesh out into a measuring cup. (Leftover cooked squash is great for butternut squash smoothies!) Cook 1 cup of dry rice according to the package directions. Cook the chicken until it the internal temperature is 165 degrees (bake it, grill it, whatever you like).
- Heat your oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook until it is slightly browned, about 5-8 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, broth, ginger, coriander, cumin, salt, and pepper. Allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Stir in the cooked squash. If needed, use the back of your spoon to break up some of the squash pieces until it is well-incorporated. Taste it, and if you prefer add more salt and pepper. Stir in the rice, chicken, and white beans and allow to cook a few minutes to heat thoroughly (unless you just cooked them and they are already hot). Finish with the lime juice, if you are using it. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 626
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 528mg
- Fat: 26.5g
- Carbohydrates: 50.5g
- Protein: 44.5g
Keywords: healthy rice bowl