If you have never tried black bean brownies, it’s time! These Black Bean Brownie Bites are as rich and decadent as any regular brownie recipe, yet they are vegan, gluten-free, and filled with nutrients. A standard brownie cannot make that claim. I dare you to make these black bean brownies and not love them!
Heads up! This post was first published in April 2016. A few updates to the text were made in 2018.
Because just making brownies with black beans was not enough, I had to go ahead and add a little frosting. Avocado Chocolate Frosting, of course. These black bean brownies are fabulous without it, so feel free to enjoy these sans frosting. I added it because my girl Meghan requested frosting on her brownies.
Did she know she was getting black bean brownies? Well, she watched me make them and didn’t say anything. My kids are going to grow up thinking it’s the norm to make brownies with black beans and frosting with avocados.I also have this black bean brownies recipe, which is a little different and has avocado baked right in as well. I have no shame in my game.
Luke asked for no frosting on his, being more of a plain kid, and these are just as tasty without it.
The texture of these black bean brownies is ultra fudge-y. I used some rolled oats, but otherwise these are flourless. Lately I’ve been on a kick of using dark cocoa powder; regular or dark will work with these.
Simple Black Bean Brownies
These can also not be easier to make. I mixed the batter right in my Vitamix, which is awesome because it’s so easy to clean! You can use a blender or food processor to mix your batter. Prep takes less than 10 minutes, and then they bake in about 15 minutes. You’ve got a great, healthy dessert ready in less than 30 minutes!
Next time you are looking for a special treat with a healthy twist, this black bean brownies recipe should be your go-to recipe! I hope you love them as much as we do.
How to Make Black Bean BrowniesPrint
Black Bean Brownies
These Black Bean Brownies are rich and fudgey and you can blend the batter right in your blender! These are vegan, gluten-free, but no one can tell they are healthy.
- Prep Time: 7 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 22 mins
- Yield: 24
- Category: dessert
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed very well
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, regular or dark
- 2/3 cup sucunat or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, not melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two mini-muffin pans and set them aside.
- Place all ingredients, except the unmelted chocolate chips, into a blender or food processor and blend or process until the mixture is well-blended and the beans and oats are totally broken down.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup unmelted chocolate chips to the batter.
- Spoon the batter by the heaping tablespoon to the mini muffin pans.
- Bake until the tops are set and a toothpick stuck in the center of a brownie bite comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 106
- Sugar: 10.2g
- Sodium: 27.2mg
- Fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrates: 16.9g
- Protein: 1.8g
Links to products are affiliate links. If you choose to purchase through those links, I will receive, at no extra cost to you, a percentage of the sale. Thank you for supporting Happy Healthy Mama!