These Baked Eggs and Spinach in Sweet Potato Boats make a healthy breakfast that is equally delicious!
How’s your breakfast looking these days? Ho hum? Boring? Let’s work on that!
This recipe for baked eggs with spinach in these awesome sweet potato BOATS is going to elevate your breakfast game 100%. That’s how you can sell this to your kids. Who doesn’t want to eat breakfast in a sweet potato BOAT? Pretty cool if you ask me.
Another thing I love about this recipe is I can make a batch and then have breakfast ready for days. Meal prepping for the win.
The yolks get a little more cooked when I reheat, but I still love ’em.
Eggs+spinach+sweet potato is just such a great combination. Yes, it’s super healthy. But really, it’s all about the flavor!! I can’t get enough of this and have been eating it for two weeks straight.
Let me show you how the prep goes down. The only part that takes a while is initially cooking the sweet potato. BUT. You can easily cut that down by using your microwave. No judgement here. 😉 Ours just happens to be broken at the moment and we’re kind of getting used to living without it. So let’s check out this (easy!) process!
How to Make Baked Eggs and Spinach in Sweet Potato Boats
First you need to cook your sweet potatoes. It’ll take about 10 minutes in the microwave, or an hour in the oven. Then you want cut them in half and scoop out the flesh, leaving a small rim of flesh around the edges and a little bit in the bottom. You want to leave room for the spinach and egg to bake inside.
Next, you add some butter and chopped spinach and pat it down so there’s room for the egg. (Butter is optional. Kind of.)
Then you carefully crack one egg inside of each sweet potato half.
These go into the oven and are ready in about 15 minutes.
You can bake them longer if you want the yolk cooked through, but I’m all about the runny egg!
Although I’ve been making these for myself nonstop, I think they’d also be perfect for when you have weekend company. What a fun and unique breakfast to serve to your guests! I hope you all love these as much as I have.Print
Baked Eggs with Spinach in Sweet Potatoes
Bake your eggs right in sweet potato “boats” in this nutrient-packed breakfast!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 large sweet potatoes*
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup packed baby spinach, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook your sweet potatoes. You can bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes-1 hour (my preference) or microwave them for about 10 minutes. (Poke holes first if microwaving. Not necessary if baking.)
- Slice the cooked sweet potatoes in half and scoop out most of the flesh, leaving a small rim of flesh around the skin. (see photos) Reserve the flesh for another use.
- Season the sweet potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Add the small cubes of butter to each half and then top with the chopped spinach. Season with salt and pepper again.
- Carefully break one egg into each sweet potato half.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the eggs are cooked to your liking, about 15 minutes. (Longer if you want the yolk cooked hard.)
- Season one last time with salt and pepper and serve.
*Make sure you get large sweet potatoes, or the egg won’t fit inside.
- Serving Size: 1 sweet potato half
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 4
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 7
Would you like to save this recipe for later? Here’s an image to save to your Pinterest recipe board!