Bake your eggs right in sweet potato “boats” in this nutrient-packed breakfast!
- 2 large sweet potatoes*
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup packed baby spinach, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook your sweet potatoes. You can bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes-1 hour (my preference) or microwave them for about 10 minutes. (Poke holes first if microwaving. Not necessary if baking.)
- Slice the cooked sweet potatoes in half and scoop out most of the flesh, leaving a small rim of flesh around the skin. (see photos) Reserve the flesh for another use.
- Season the sweet potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Add the small cubes of butter to each half and then top with the chopped spinach. Season with salt and pepper again.
- Carefully break one egg into each sweet potato half.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the eggs are cooked to your liking, about 15 minutes. (Longer if you want the yolk cooked hard.)
- Season one last time with salt and pepper and serve.
*Make sure you get large sweet potatoes, or the egg won’t fit inside.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 sweet potato half
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 4
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 7