Do you find yourself waiting for circumstances to be perfect before you take action on something? Rather than just doing something, do you spend time waiting to do something until the timing is just right?
I do this all. the. time. To the point that less gets done because let’s face it, the timing is never just right.
Sometimes this blog paralyzes me because there’s so much I could do to make it better. So much to do that takes so much time that I don’t have. In the end, I wind up doing nothing. Somewhere along the line I forgot that something is better than nothing, even if that something is just a little bit.
These muffins are a small example of me waiting for the perfect circumstance. I’ve made these muffins, or a variety of them, several times since September. Each time I think, “I should share this recipe on the blog.” Yet, I never did.
Until now. This morning when I was making them I had that thought again. Several more thoughts entered my head.
“I don’t have time to take proper pictures right now.”
“This morning light isn’t right for pictures.”
“I can’t think of a creative way to set up the shot.”
“I should clean up the kitchen before I do anything else.”
Then, I stopped myself. Just do it. Who cares if the circumstances aren’t perfect? You would rather have a recipe to use than perfect pictures to look at, right?
I stopped thinking and started taking pictures.
My pictures will probably never look like some of the ones you see on certain food blogs that appear they were professionally styled with amazing props and perfect lighting.
But you will always get a slice of real life here.
And hopefully along the way you’ll pick up a few good recipes your family loves. I hope you enjoy these whole grain apple cinnamon muffins as much as we do.Print
Apple cinnamon crumb muffins
Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins. Whole grain and dairy-free.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar, Sucanat, or light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or buttermilk)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced peeled apples
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup same sugar as used above (coconut palm, Sucanat, or light brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Oil a muffin pan or line with paper liners and spray the liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Add in the apples. Do not overmix.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the crumb topping and mix until crumbly.
- Fill each cup of the muffin pan almost to the top, and sprinkle with the crumb topping. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the muffins are just turning golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
This is a versatile recipe. I’ve used diced pears instead of apples and that works well. I’ve also made them many times without the crumb topping–that yields a muffin with less sugar and they are great without it. The crumb topping just adds an extra yumminess. You can also use all whole wheat flour, but I prefer to have the oat flour in there to help lower the glycemic load. I’ve even made them with all oat flour and it works if you need them to be gluten-free. The texture isn’t as great, but they are still good. Also, I have made these with flax eggs and it does work. I prefer the results I’ve gotten from using eggs, though.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 13.3g
- Sodium: 109mg
- Fat: 11.75g
- Carbohydrates: 38.5g
- Protein: 5.5g
Keywords: healthy muffins
Have a fantastic week–go ahead and start whatever you’ve been putting off!