This is a healthy Broccoli Soup that thick and creamy, but totally vegan!
I have a small confession to make. As a hardcore soup devotee, I am constantly cooking up new soups. Soups are a staple in my winter diet; I love how you can make them full of goodness, and they are comforting and warm me up. But I only share about 1/10 of the recipes I create.
Most of the time, I am not thinking about putting my soup recipes on the blog. I’m thinking about throwing some ingredients together to make a healthy, filling lunch, or using up all the unused vegetables before I go grocery shopping for the next week.
That’s what happened with this soup. I had some broccoli that I didn’t end up using so its fate became Broccoli Soup. Only this time I remembered to take photos before I scarfed it down so I can share it with you.
I’m going to try to do this more often because my soup creations are some of my favorite things that come out of my kitchen. I don’t think most people get as excited about soup recipes as I do, but they deserve more recognition. Soups are the best way to pack a ton of nutrition into a tasty, easy package. If you haven’t, make friends with soup!
Not all soups are created equally, of course. Broccoli Soup is one of those soups that sounds like it’s always healthy no matter what, but sometimes it’s anything but healthy. Broccoli Cheddar Soup, I’m looking at you. Cream of Broccoli Soup, anyone?
This Broccoli Soup, however, has healthy written all over it. It’s perfectly creamy and flavorful, yet it’s vegan! How did I do that? Cannellini beans get blended up to make a creamy mouthful so pleasant, you won’t miss the cream or cheddar. Promise. The beans also add fiber, protein, calcium, and iron, but no fat. Dairy can’t make that claim. Check out the nutritional stats under the recipe. This one is a keeper!
This Broccoli Soup is flavorful, filling, and total comfort in a bowl. I hope you give it a try!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated, if possible)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups chopped broccoli (stems included, from about 1 large head)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened and slightly browned, about 8 minutes
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, lemon juice, and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the broccoli and bring to a simmer again. Simmer until the broccoli is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans.
- Transfer the soup, in batches if necessary, to a blender. Blend on medium to desired consistency. I prefer to leave some texture, but you can also blend until perfectly smooth if you prefer.
- Bring the soup back to temperature on the stove.