- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated, if possible)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups chopped broccoli (stems included, from about 1 large head)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened and slightly browned, about 8 minutes
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, lemon juice, and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the broccoli and bring to a simmer again. Simmer until the broccoli is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans.
- Transfer the soup, in batches if necessary, to a blender. Blend on medium to desired consistency. I prefer to leave some texture, but you can also blend until perfectly smooth if you prefer.
- Bring the soup back to temperature on the stove.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 206
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 64.1g
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Protein: 11.8g