I would like to introduce you to my new favorite lunch. It graced my lunch plate the last two days and I’ll probably have it today, too. And tomorrow. After that I’ll have to make a trip to the grocery store to get more kale. I’m 100% addicted.
This is the only recipe that allows me to eat an entire bunch of kale in one sitting without thinking twice about it. And love every. single. bite.
I don’t usually talk recipes up this much, but I am totally obsessed. I want you to be obsessed, too. Because being obsessed with kale is a good thing. If you don’t believe me, check this out.
Open-faced sandwich with smoky kale and goat cheese
A great appetiser to die for!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: serves 1 to 2 1x
- Category: Appetiser
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon ghee, butter, or extra virgin olive oil (I’ve used them all), plus more for spreading on bread
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch of kale, deveined and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- a few ounces of goat cheese, crumbled
- 2–4 slices good-quality sour dough bread, or bread of choice (Depending on the size of the bread-pictured above are small slices, in which case you’d use four. I’ve used bigger slices, too, when you’d only need two.)
- Heat your ghee (or butter or EVOO) in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook until softened and starting to brown, about 5 minutes or so. Add the garlic and let it cook with the onion for another minute. Add the kale and sprinkle with kosher salt and then add the lemon juice. Stir it around so the onion and kale are mixed, then cover to steam the kale for about 2-3 minutes. Your kale should be wilted and bright green. Stir in the smoked paprika.
- Spread some ghee, butter, or EVOO onto your bread slices and place them on a cookie sheet. Toast them using your oven’s broiler, about 1-2 minutes per side. Watch them carefully so as not to burn the bread!
- Now divide your kale mixture evenly among your bread slices and top with the crumbled goat cheese. Devour it!
- Serving Size: 1 of 2 servings
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 180mg
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 32.5g
- Protein: 14g
Keywords: quick appetiser
You can use any variety of kale for this recipe. For the sandwiches pictured above, I used a dinosaur variety, but I have also used curly kale and that works great, too.
I can’t guarantee your kids are going to enjoy this recipe. But one of mine had so much fun helping me tear the kale.
And he even tried a few bites of raw kale.
He was very curious.
I won’t tell you that he said, “Yucky” after his second bite. Shhhhh….let’s just pretend he liked it.