These Gluten-free Almond Oat Cranberry Bars are an easy one-bowl recipe and are great for a healthy breakfast, dessert, or snack!Do you ever buy food or ingredients on a whim? Or is that just a #foodbloggerproblem? That’s exactly what happened with the cranberries I used for these bars. I saw a bag of organic cranberries at the grocery store, and even though I wasn’t hosting Thanksgiving this year and had no plans for them, I wanted them. They were so pretty and festive, I couldn’t help myself.
I decided to bake with them. These healthy bars, with fresh cranberries, are the result of my impulse purchase. Sometimes impulse purchases turn out pretty well. I’m so happy with these bars! I used a mix of almond flour and old fashioned oats, so you get a lower-carb bar that is lightly sweet and really satisfying. They are great as a breakfast bar or for an after-school snack. For one batch I added dark chocolate chips. That takes these bars to a dessert level. I highly recommend it.
Along with being gluten-free, these bars are also dairy-free. I should have put that in the title, but I thought it was long enough as it was. I did use two eggs for these. With one trial I used one egg and they didn’t hold together that well, so I’m not sure how these would work with flax eggs. I also used two tablespoons of chia seeds, which add another boost of nutrition, but they are optional.
These bars could not be easier to whip up. You only need one bowl. Mix it all together and you’ll have some healthy, delicious bars in no time! Although some of the pictures have forks, no fork is needed. These make a great portable breakfast/snack option if you need that. I hope you love this recipe!
- 1 cup almond meal/flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (make sure they are certified gluten-free for gluten-free bars)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (your favorite neutral baking oil may be substituted)
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Optional add-ins: ¼-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a small baking dish. (9x9, 8x8, or small oblong like in the picture above. I used a 9x9 pan for the other bars you see in the pictures)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, chia seeds, and salt.
- Create a well in the middle and add the orange juice, oil, eggs, and honey.
- Stir until everything is combined. Add the cranberries and chocolate chips (if using).
- Transfer the batter to your baking pan. If the cranberries are bunched together, use your fingers to distribute them evenly among the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until the top is lightly golden and the edges are pulling away from the pan. Allow to cool completely before cutting. Enjoy!