It isn’t even officially winter yet, and I’m already ready for it to be over. I am seriously not a winter girl. I grew up in one of the coldest places in the United States (the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Believe me, it’s cooooooold up there) and as soon as I had the chance I moved where it was warm. The seven years I lived in Phoenix, Arizona, I was in weather heaven. It was the perfect climate for me–no humidity, lots of sunshine, hardly any rain. Even the scorching hot summers didn’t bother me all that much. But when you have kids you realize that being close to family is more important than hiking in the mountains in shorts and a tank top in the middle of December. Even though I loved hiking in the mountains in my shorts and tank top in the middle of December. If there is one thing about winter that I do like, it’s soup. I did miss having a nice bowl of soup on a cold winter day when I lived in Arizona. No one feels like making soup when it’s 80 degrees and sunny, even if it is December.
This creamy sweet potato soup is the perfect antidote to the type of bone-chilling weather we’ve been having lately. It’s creamy, hardy, and filling with interesting flavors. I combined thyme+sage+turmeric for the spices. Didn’t know turmeric paired well with thyme+sage? I didn’t, either. I’ve been incorporating turmeric in a lot of dishes lately after being reminded of its anticancer properties when reading the Anticancer book . It could have been a disaster, but it worked. We had this soup for dinner and then the leftovers made a great, quick lunch for the next two days.Print
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup and Coconut Oil Giveaway Winner
A creamy and delicious soup recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 small sweet potatoes, sliced and quartered (~4 cups)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup organic half and half (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, or 1 (15 ounce) can, drained and rinsed
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- In a large stock pan over medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Add the onion and saute until soft and slightly brown, about 5-8 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, vegetables stock, turmeric, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft. Transfer 2 cups of soup mixture to blender and blend until smooth. Return blended soup to pot and stir in half and half. Stir in beans and spinach. Allow to cook for a few more minutes, until beans are heated through and spinach is wilted. Taste and adjust salt as necessary.
- Serving Size: 1 of 6 servings
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Sodium: 102mg
- Fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrates: 31.5g
- Protein: 5.8g
Keywords: healthy soup
And now I would like to announce the winner of the organic coconut oil giveaway! I know there are electronic ways bloggers can randomly choose winners these days, but I like to kick it old school.
I used cut up Post-It notes with a number for each comment and put them all in a pot. Specifically, a pretend pot that Meghan has for her play kitchen. And the winner is…
Congratulations to Tori!
Tori, please email me at [email protected] with the address where you would like your loot sent and I’ll get it in the mail right away! Thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoy your coconut oil!