Your pizza night is never going to be the same. Think of this quinoa pizza pie as pizza with a makeover. It has all the flavors of a vegetable pizza, but it’s transformed into a healthier package. Instead of being weighed down with a wheat crust, we have a pizza in the form of a quinoa pie.
This quinoa pizza pie uses less than half the amount of cheese of a traditional pizza, but there’s just enough to satisfy your craving for hot, melted cheese. The quinoa is cooked in pizza sauce, so it is infused with incredible pizza flavor. Garlic and fresh basil add to the tremendous flavors of this pie. Seriously, you have GOT to try this!
Each slice of this quinoa pizza pie delivers only 174 calories and boasts 8 grams of protein. Not bad for a vegetarian dish, eh? Turn your pizza night into a healthy dinner with no guilt!
Quinoa Pizza Pie
Pizza night just got a makeover! This quinoa pizza pie has the pizza flavor you love but is much healthier!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 1 pie - 8 slices
- Category: main meal
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (packed), chopped*
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a pie pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the quinoa, tomato sauce, and water in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Once it is finished cooking, allow it to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium low heat. Add the onion and red pepper and cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Turn off the heat.
- Add the eggs to a large bowl and beat them lightly. Add the cooked quinoa, pepper and onions, chopped basil, and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese and mix well. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pie pan and use the back of a spoon or a spatula to press the mixture flat into the pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese to the top of the pie. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Allow the pie to rest about 10 minutes before serving. (This helps the pie to set.) Enjoy!
*Optional: reserve 1-2 basil leaves before chopping and cut them into strips. Add this to the top of the pie after it bakes for added color.
- Serving Size: 1 of 8 slices
- Calories: 151
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 205mg
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 12.6g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: healthy pizza pie
P.S. You may have noticed the website looking a little different. I will be continuing to make changes here and there in the coming weeks. I’d love to hear your thoughts and please let me know if anything isn’t working properly!