These Sweet Potato Black Bean burgers are vegan, gluten-free, and bursting with flavor. They are easy to make with a crispy exterior and tender inside!
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal+3 tablespoons water (or 1 egg)
- 1 cup cooked mashed sweet potato (from 1 large or 2 smaller sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- oil (I like avocado oil for this)
- Mix together your flaxseed meal and water and set it aside until it gels.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Use a potato masher or the back of a large spoon to mash the beans, leaving a few in tact for texture.
- In a large skillet, heat a thin layer of oil over medium high heat.
- Form the sweet potato mixture into 6 patties.
- When the skillet is hot enough to sizzle, add the patties, in batches if necessary. Cook on one side until a crispy exterior is formed, about 5-7 minutes.
- Carefully flip each patty and cook an additional 5 minutes on the second side.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like guacamole. Enjoy!
- If you have time, after you form the patties, refrigerate them for 30 minutes or more. This is not mandatory, but does help them hold together better.
- When you are flipping your burgers, if they fall apart at all, simply use the spatula to form them back together.
- To ensure you get a nice, crispy exterior, make sure your pan is hot before you place the patties in the pan.
- I recommend a well-seasoned cast iron skillet for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 burger
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 222.2mg
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 20.5g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Protein: 5.7g
Keywords: Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger