Perfectly creamy, these mashed sweet potatoes are made with no added sugar and are savory with fresh herbs, butter, and milk!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons pastured butter
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or milk
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel the potatoes and then cut them into uniform cubes.
- Place a steamer basket into a large pot of simmering water. Add the sweet potatoes to the basket, place the lid on the pot, and steam for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the steamer basket from the pot and drain the water. Place the cooked sweet potatoes directly back into the pot.
- In a small pan, melt the 3 tablespoons of butter over medium low heat. Add the chopped herbs, salt, and pepper and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, until very fragrant. Turn heat to low and whisk in the half-and-half or milk.
- Pour the butter mixture into the pot with the sweet potatoes. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until they are smooth. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- The cooking time will vary depending on how big you cut your cubes. 1 inch cubes will cook in about 20 minutes.
- Mashing your sweet potatoes by hand is the preferred method for this recipe.
- Any leftover mashed sweet potatoes can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
*Links to products are affiliate links
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: side dish recipes
- Method: steaming
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 3.4 grams
- Fat: 8.9 grams
- Saturated Fat: 5.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 14.5 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 1.5 grams
Keywords: Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes