These Peppermint Brownies are vegan, gluten-free, and the perfect mix of fudgy and cakey! NO ONE will guess they are made with black beans, cashews, and are naturally sweetened!
- 1 cup dry roasted, salted cashews
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal mixed with 6 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 drop peppermint essential oil (or 1/8–1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract)
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Optional for topping: 2 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8X8 inch baking dish with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large food processor, process the cashews until they are a fine crumb.
- Add the beans and process very well, until the two are totally mixed and there are very few lumps.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, and process until mixed.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan and bake in the prepared oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before pulling the brownies from the pan and cutting. I like these best chilled in the fridge overnight, but that’s optional.
- Top with the crushed candy canes, if using, and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 9.1g
- Sodium: 29mg
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 24.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.5mg