Oatmeal Fig Bars (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
These Oatmeal Fig Bars are a wholesome version of Fig Newtons!
- Author: Maryea
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 9 bars 1x
For the Crust and Topping
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour*
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond butter
For the Fig Filling
- 2 1/2 cups dried figs, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons liquid sweetener (honey is perfect here, but strict vegans can use maple syrup)
- 2 tablespoon fig soaking water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8X8 inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving overhang on the sides.
- Put the dried figs in a bowl, and cover them completely with hot water. Allow them to soak for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rolled oats, oat flour, chopped almonds, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. Add the almond butter and mix until everything is combined.
- Take 3/4 of the mixture and press it into the bottom of the baking dish. Use the back of a cup or spatula to press it down firmly.
- Remove the figs from the water and put them in a food processor. Add 3 tablespoons honey and 2 tablespoons of the soaking water and process until it is a smooth mixture.
- Take the fig mixture and spread it on top of the almond oat crust.
- Top with crumbles of the remaining almond oat mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
*Rolled oats may be processed in a blender to make oat flour. AP or whole wheat flour can be substituted if you wish.