Mexican Quinoa Skillet Dinner
With peppers, quinoa, and a little spice, this Mexican Quinoa Skillet Dinner is super easy to prepare and makes a great vegan and gluten-free meal!
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 23 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: recipes
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced*
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well**
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning***
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- lime wedges, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until just softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and jalapeño peppers and sauté until softened, another 5 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, vegetable broth, taco seasoning, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked black beans and cilantro.
- Top each serving with avocado slices and serve with a lime wedge. Enjoy!
*Omit jalapeño if you don’t want any spice. For mildly spicy, remove most or all of the seeds. Leave more seeds for more heat.
**Rinse the quinoa until the water runs clear to avoid any bitterness.
***I prefer this homemade taco seasoning, but you can use any taco seasoning you prefer.
- Calories: 391
- Sugar: 6.3 grams
- Fat: 11.6 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 58.9 grams
- Fiber: 15.5 grams
- Protein: 14.4 grams
Keywords: Mexican Quinoa Skillet Dinner