The easiest soup ever, this Greek Lemon Soup is ready in a jiffy and the flavor is outstanding.
- Add the chicken stock to a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the orzo and cook two minutes less than the package instructions direct.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg, egg yolks, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice and whisk until combined.
- Reduce the heat to low.Scoop out one ladle of broth and pour it, slowly in a steady stream, into the egg mixture, whisking the entire time. Next, pour the egg mixture into the pot in a steady stream, again whisking the entire time.
- Stir the cooked chicken into the soup and bring it to a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, until the soup thickens, about 4 minutes.
- Add the peas and carrots and cook until they are warmed throughout, about 3-5 more minutes.
Note 1: Make sure you follow the instructions and temper (slowly warm) your eggs before adding to the soup. If you skip this, you’ll end up with bits of scrambled eggs in your soup. Very unappealing!
Note 2: You can use rotisserie chicken you buy, or you can use chicken from a whole chicken you cooked.
- Prep Time: 0 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: soup recipes
- Method: stop top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 6 grams
- Fat: 5.7 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 21.7 grams
- Fiber: 0.5 grams
- Protein: 12.2 grams
Keywords: Greek Lemon Chicken Soup