The BEST Vegan Chocolate Cake
This is the BEST Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe–moist, intensely flavored, and perfectly light.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- coconut oil, for greasing pans
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups sugar or erythritol
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, plus 1 tablespoon vinegar, mixed together and allowed to sit for a few minutes before using
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use coconut oil to grease two 8-inch x 2-inch round cake pans. Line the pans with parchment paper, and then grease with more coconut oil and dust with flour.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the unsweetened almond milk with vinegar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. After cooling in the pans for 30 minutes, turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack and cool completely. The two layers may be frosted once the cake is completely cooled. Enjoy!
*Nutritional information is for the healthiest way to make this cake, which is whole wheat pastry flour and erythritol. Note that it will change if you use regular sugar and all purpose flour.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 0.3 grams
- Fat: 15.7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 84 grams
- Protein: 5.2 grams