Warm Quinoa Salad with Apples and Kale. This healthy salad recipe is great for lunch or a dinner side dish. It has great flavor and is easy to make!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water (I prefer the stock for more flavor)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large apple, peeled and medium diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3–5 cups deveined and chopped kale
- salt + pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon or orange juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
First, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, and maple syrup. Set aside.
In a small saucepan, bring the quinoa and stock or water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the apple and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute. Add the kale, lemon juice, and water and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir, then put the lid on the skillet and cook until the kale is wilted and tender, 5 minutes or so. Turn off the heat.
When the quinoa is finished, stir it in the skillet with the apple and kale. Pour the dressing over the top and stir to coat. This salad is best served warm. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: main meal
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving of 2
- Calories: 468
- Sugar: 21.5g
- Sodium: 256mg
- Fat: 23g
- Carbohydrates: 60g
- Protein: 8.5g
Keywords: warm salad