Creamy and comforting, this Vegan Mushroom Wild Rice Soup is totally plant-based!
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter* (Note 1)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced (cut in half first length wise for thicker carrots)
- 2 celery stalks, cut in half length wise and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup wild rice* (Note 2)
- 1 can coconut milk* (Note 3)
- In a large stock pot, melt the vegan butter.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery and season with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetable stock, Worcestershire sauce, and wild rice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer until the rice is cooked, 60-90 minutes. Enjoy!
Note 1: If you don’t have vegan butter or prefer not to use it, use oil as a substitute.
Note 2: You can use a wild rice blend if that’s all you can find. The cooking time will be reduced to about 45 minutes.
Note 3: Coconut milk adds a creamy texture and the coconut flavor isn’t strong. If you prefer a different plant-based milk, I recommend Ripple or Boathouse Farm brands plant milk, as they are very neutral in flavor.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: recipes
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 310
- Fat: 13 grams
- Protein: 10 grams
Keywords: vegan mushroom wild rice soup