These Vegan Meatballs are hearty and satisfying, and easy to make with pantry staple ingredients! They are gluten-free and have amazing flavor with Italian seasoning!
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal + 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil + more for searing vegan meatballs
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground flaxseed meal and water. Set aside.
- In a cast iron or other oven-safe skillet, heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil. Add the minced onion and cook a few minutes, until softened and browned. Add the garlic cloves and continue to cook another minute or so. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor, process the onion mixture and walnut pieces until they are broken down but not complete mush.
- Add the onion and walnut mixture to the bowl with the flaxseed meal and water. Add the nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine well. The mixture will seem like it’s not going to stick together, but you should be able to form it into balls.
- Form the mixture into 12 balls.
- If your skillet is dry, add more oil and heat it over medium heat. Gently add the balls to the hot oil and cook them to get a sear on each side. Carefully turn them as they are cooking so they are browned.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add Instant Pot spaghetti sauce and serve over spaghetti squash or spaghetti noodles. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs
- Calories: 391
- Fat: 38.2 g.
- Carbohydrates: 10 g.
- Fiber: 4.3 g.
- Protein: 9.1 g.
- Cholesterol: 0 mg.
Keywords: Vegan Meatballs Recipe