Crispy baked sweet potato chips, ground turkey with homemade taco seasoning, beans, and fresh vegetable toppings come together to make the most delicious AND nutritious tray of nachos!
- 1 large sweet potato, very thinly sliced, preferably with a mandoline slicer *
- cooking oil spray
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Additional toppings, as desired: diced tomato, diced avocado, sliced jalapeño pepper, salsa, green onion, etc.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. If two baking sheets will fit in your oven, spray two baking sheets with cooking oil. Place the thinly sliced sweet potato rounds onto the trays, making sure they aren’t overlapping.** Spray the tops with additional cooking oil.
- Bake the sweet potato rounds in the oven until they are starting to brown slightly, 10-15 minutes. The time will depend on how thin they are sliced and how large the rounds are. Watch them carefully so as not to burn them. Remove them from the oven. They will not be crispy immediately, but will crisp up within two minutes. If they do not, they need a minute or more in the oven. Remove your baked sweet potato chips from the sheet so you can bake another batch. Continue this process until all of your sweet potatoes are baked. (You’ll need to do about 4 tray fulls to bake one sweet potato.)
- Meanwhile, in a skillet pan, break up the ground turkey over medium heat. Add the seasoning and water and sauté until the turkey is cooked through. Set aside.
- Transfer all of your baked sweet potato chips to one tray. Top with the cheese, beans, and cooked turkey. Broil in the oven a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and add any additional toppings you desire and serve immediately. Enjoy!
**If you overcrowd the tray, your sweet potato chips won’t get as crispy, which is why I do this in batches.
***Nutritional information includes the following toppings: 1 roma tomato, 1/2 large avocado, and 1 jalapeño pepper
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 2.1 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 11.2 grams
- Protein: 11.4 grams