Made without refined sugar and a touch of orange flavor, you’re going to LOVE this healthier Sweet Potato Casserole recipe!
- 3 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 medium)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
For the Pecan Topping
- 1 generous cup whole raw pecans
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and place them on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake them in the oven until they are very soft, 60-90 minutes, depending on their size. Turn the potatoes over once during the baking time.
- When the sweet potatoes are finished cooking, allow them to cool. Once they are cool, use a knife to cut open the skin and peel it out. Discard. Put the sweet potato flesh into a large bowl and mash well. Add the next 8 ingredients (through orange zest, if using) and mix well. Place the sweet potato mixture in a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the pecans, coconut oil, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Place the pecans on top of the casserole as shown in the pictures.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top is lightly browned. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 of 10
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 11.7g
- Sodium: 260mg
- Fat: 12.4g
- Carbohydrates: 39.2g
- Protein: 3.8g