- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 very large summer squash, or 2–3 smaller summer squashes, diced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups loosely packed baby spinach, chopped
- 2/3 cup whole wheat orzo
- 1 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the summer squash to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato, garlic, and spinach, and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the orzo and vegetable or chicken stock to a boil in a small to medium sauce pan. Boil on low until the orzo is cooked and the stock is mostly absorbed, but there is still some stock left, about 6 minutes.
- Add the orzo to the vegetable skillet and stir to combine. Add the parmesan cheese. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 403
- Sugar: 8
- Fat: 17
- Carbohydrates: 43
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 23