These Stuffed Peppers with Ground Turkey are easy to make with simple ingredients and make a healthy dinner the whole family loves!
- large bell peppers (any color)
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
Heat oven to 350°F.
Use a sharp knife to remove the top (stem side) of the peppers*. Remove seeds and membranes.
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 7 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until turkey is brown; drain. Stir in rice, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic and the tomato sauce; cook until hot.
- Stuff peppers with turkey mixture. Stand peppers upright in square baking dish.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake 10 minutes. Uncover and bake about 15 minutes longer, until the peppers are crisp-tender, adding cheese to the top of the peppers in the last 5 minutes of the baking time. Enjoy!
- I like to chop the part of the pepper surrounding the stem and use it for salads. No need to waste that part!
- I don’t find parboiling the peppers is necessary as they get very soft when I have done that and don’t hold their shape as well. I love a crisp-tender bell pepper and feel it gets plenty soft enough during the cooking time. If you prefer to have much softer peppers, parboil your peppers for about 2 minutes.
- You can use any color or variety of sweet bell peppers.
- Brown rice will be your healthiest choice here, but if you’re in a rush, white rice is just fine.
- The cheese is optional here. Feel free to leave it off and these are both gluten free and dairy free!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: dinner recipes
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper
- Calories: 413
- Sugar: 11 g.
- Sodium: 840.4 mg.
- Fat: 18.7 g.
- Carbohydrates: 30.9 g.
- Fiber: 5.5 g.
- Protein: 31.1 g.
- Cholesterol: 108.6 mg.
Keywords: Stuffed peppers with ground turkey