A delicious pasta dish for meat free Monday
- 16 ounces dry multi-grain spaghetti (Pictured is Barilla Plus)
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce of your choice
for the meatless balls
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain bread crumbs (I used my food processor to make homemade)
- 1/2 heaping cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- splash of milk
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend (you can mix your own if you don’t have one)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. (You could also use aluminum foil)
- In a large bowl, moisten your breadcrumbs with a splash of milk.
- Add your walnuts, onion, and garlic to a food processor and blend until you have a wet mixture. Add this mixture to the breadcrumbs, then add the cheese, egg, and seasonings. Mix until well-blended.
- Form into small balls and place on your baking sheet. You will have 12 balls. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping with a spatula half way through the cooking time.
- While the balls are baking, prepare the pasta according to the package directions and heat your sauce. Serve pasta with sauce and meatless balls and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, if desired.
Adapted, just a little, from Aunt Lauria’s recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: main meal
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 of 6 servings
- Calories: 397
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 416mg
- Fat: 5.3g
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Protein: 18.3g
Keywords: vegetarian meatballs