This Southwest Chicken Salad is one that is a crowd pleaser with so many contrasting textures and flavors.
- 8 cups chopped hearts of romaine
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 (15 ounce) corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 2 cooked skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 10 ounces grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- salt and pepper
For the Balsamic Dressing
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until it’s crisp on both sides. Remove and allow to cool on a towel-lined plate.
- In the same skillet, remove all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease. Add the corn, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the black beans to the same skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Roughly chop the cooled bacon.
- Add the chopped romaine and the rest of the salad ingredients to a large bowl*. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix the dressing: add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, maple syrup, and minced garlic to a container with a lid and shake until well-combined.
- Drizzle the salad ingredients with the dressing**and toss to evenly coat. Serve immediately.
*You can also create individual salad servings, but one big bowl is quicker and easier.
**A lot of dressing go well here, so if you want to use your favorite store-bought dressing that’s great. Ranch is fantastic with this as well.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: recipes
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Southwest
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 593
- Sugar: 12.2 g.
- Sodium: 1406.4 mg.
- Fat: 34.1 g.
- Carbohydrates: 51.6 g
- Fiber: 17.1 g
- Protein: 26.7 g.
- Cholesterol: 57.6 mg.
Keywords: Southwest Chicken Salad