This Quinoa Vegetable Stew is the ultimate healthy comfort food! Vegan, gluten free, and full of nourishing vegetables, it’s hearty and filling.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes (sweet, white, or red all work), cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups greens, such as kale or baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven. Add the onion, carrots, celery and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, oregano, marjoram, the rest of the salt, pepper, and broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer about 15 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and allow to simmer another 15-20 minutes.
- Optional: Take 2-3 cups of the stew and transfer it to a blender. Blend and then return the blended mixture back to the pot.
- Add the chopped greens and lemon juice and cook until the the greens are wilted, about 5 more minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 9.7 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 39.2 grams
- Protein: 9.7 grams