These Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches are easy to make and are perfect to have on hand for busy mornings. They are a high protein, vegetarian* (note 1) healthy breakfast idea!
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1/2 cup small diced onion (about 1/2 of an onion, diced)
- 1/2 cup small diced red bell pepper (about 1/2 of a large bell pepper, diced)
- 12 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 12 slices American or cheddar cheese, or your favorite sliced cheese
- 12 English muffins
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9X13 inch casserole pan with cooking oil and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper, lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper to season, and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool some.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and milk. Stir in the onion and bell pepper mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture into the casserole dish and bake in the preheated oven for 18-25 minutes, until the center is just set.* (note 2)
- Allow the eggs to cool before cutting into 12 squares.
- To assemble the sandwiches, open the English muffins and place an egg square then a slice of cheese on the bottom, and then put the top on.
- If you are not freezing and eating the sandwiches right away, place the sandwiches back in the oven and heat for 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- To freeze, wrap the sandwiches in aluminum foil or wax paper, and then place in a freezer-safe resealable bag. Freeze for up to one month.
- For best results, thaw a sandwich in the refrigerator overnight.
- To microwave: remove the foil or wax paper and wrap in a paper towel or clean kitchen towel. Microwave for 40 seconds on 50% power. Turn the sandwich over and microwave another 15-30 seconds on 100% power, until heated through.
- To reheat in the oven: Reheat at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the sandwich is warm throughout.
Note 1: If you’d like to add meat, you can use cooked bacon, sausage patties, or ham.
Note 2: Do not overcook as the eggs will cook more when you reheat the sandwich.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: breakfast recipes
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 108
- Sugar: 1.9 g.
- Sodium: 713.1 mg.
- Fat: 6.6 g.
- Carbohydrates: 29.8 g.
- Fiber: .3 g.
- Protein: 15.1 g.
- Cholesterol: 191 mg.
Keywords: make ahead breakfast sandwiches