This Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup is quick, easy, and absolutely delicious! You’ll never know it’s a lightened up version!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (I prefer chicken)
- 3 cups broccoli florets, cut into very small pieces
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese*
- 1 cup half and half
- Start the Instant Pot in sauté mode and melt the butter. Add the diced onion and minced garlic and sauté for two minutes.
- Stir in the flour and allow it to cook for one minute. Stir in the broth until it is a smooth consistency.
- Add broccoli, carrots, salt, pepper, and paprika. Press cancel and put the lid on the Instant Pot with the vent in the sealing position.
- Set the Instant Pot on manual mode at high pressure for eight minutes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, use the quick release method to release the pressure.
- Open the lid and set to sauté mode again. Gradually stir in the half and half. Next, gradually stir in the cheese, stirring continuously, until it melts. Press cancel and serve! Enjoy!
*I highly recommend you grate your own cheese rather than buy the bagged shredded kind. Freshly shredded will melt better and the shredded kind has added ingredients that won’t let it incorporate as easily. Also, sharp cheddar or extra sharp cheddar will lend the most flavor.
** To make this without an Instant Pot, follow the directions, but use a heavy bottomed soup pot on the stove top, when it calls for pressure cooking the vegetables, instead simmer the broccoli and carrots until they are tender, about 20 minutes. Then continue and add the half and half and cheese.
***Links to products are affiliate links.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 388
- Sugar: 5.1 grams
- Fat: 30.4 grams
- Carbohydrates: 16.3 grams
- Protein: 15 grams