- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
Stove Top Instructions
- Place the farro and cooking liquid of choice in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Cook until the liquid is absorbed and farro is cooked, see times in notes.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Place 1 cup farro and 2 cups vegetable stock in the inner pot. Press the manual or pressure cook button and adjust the timer to 10 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 more minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Most of the liquid should be absorbed, but you can drain it if there is more than you would like. I like it with a small amount of liquid remaining in the pot and not completely dry.
Stovetop Cooking Times for Different Types of Farro
- Pearled farro: 15-20 minutes with no pre-soaking required.
- Semi-pearled farro: 25-30 minutes with no pre-soaking required. You can presoak to cut down the cooking time to 15 minutes.
- Whole grain farro: 30-60 minutes, depending on how long it has been soaked. Ideally, whole farro should be soaked overnight.
Instant Pot Notes
- Use the Instant Pot® pressure cooker is my favorite way to cook farro. It takes the guesswork out of the cooking time and I love that I can start it and walk away. No need to babysit the stovetop.
- I use semi-pearled farro for cooking farro in the Instant Pot®. The time will be less for pearled farro and more for whole grain farro.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: how to
- Method: stove top or instant pot
- Cuisine: italian
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup cooked farro
- Calories: 97
- Sugar: 0.7 grams
- Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 21 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 4 grams
Keywords: how to cook farro