This staple recipe will be one you use time and again to add flavor and flair to different recipes in your kitchen. You can’t go wrong with perfect caramelized onions!
- 2 pounds onions, halved and thinly sliced or chopped
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or butter, plus more as needed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the onions in a large, dry skillet over medium heat.
- Cover and cook, stirring infrequently, about 20 minutes. The onions will seem dry and will almost be sticking to the pan.
- Stir in the oil or butter and about 1/4 teaspoon salt and turn down the heat to medium low.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until they are done to your preference. (See notes)
- Taste and add more salt, if necessary, and pepper.
Total Cooking Times and Results
20 minutes: color will be ivory; the onions will be soft and still have a slight onion flavor.
25-30 minutes: color will be golden; the onions will be wilted, sweet, and with a slight onion sharpness.
40-45 minutes: the onions will be browned and starting to melt; the flavor will be sweet without onion flavor.
60 minutes: the onions will be a deep golden brown, the texture will be jam-like, and they will be quite sweet.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: recipes
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 154
- Sugar: 9.6 grams
- Fat: 7.2 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 grams
- Carbohydrates: 21.6 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 2.6 grams
Keywords: how to make caramelized onions