This Grilled Barbecue Tofu is super simple to make and has terrific texture and flavor!
- 2 (14 ounce) packages extra-firm tofu
- 1 1/4 cups barbecue sauce, homemade or store-bought
- Press your tofu for 30 minutes: wrap your tofu blocks in clean kitchen towels. Place them on a cutting board and place something heavy on top. Wait 30 minutes and then remove the towels.
- Slice the tofu into 6 blocks, about 1-inch thick each.
- Place the tofu pieces to a shallow baking dish and add 3/4 cup of the barbecue sauce. Reserve the rest for brushing on the tofu during and after the grilling time.
- Use a pastry brush to evenly coat the tofu pieces on all sides.
- Allow the tofu to marinate in the barbecue sauce for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Oil the grates.
- Place the tofu on the oiled grates and cook for 6-7 minutes per side, brushing the tofu pieces with the reserved barbecue sauce periodically during the cooking time.
- Brush the grilled tofu with a final coat of the barbecue sauce and serve hot .
- Always use extra-firm tofu. Tofu is delicate so you want the firmest variety so it can stand up to the grill.
- Don’t forget to press your tofu first. Pressed tofu will have better texture and will be easier to flip on the grill as well.
- Oil the grates of your grill. Tofu doesn’t have as much fat as many meats and therefore will easily stick to the grates if you don’t oil them.
- If you’d like a different flavor profile, you can use this same recipe and method, just change out the marinade.
- Preheat the grill before you begin.
*Nutritonal values are approximate and will vary depending on which barbecue sauce you use.
- Prep Time: 65 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: dinner recipes
- Method: grilling
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3 pieces
- Calories: 366
- Sugar: 30 grams
- Fat: 10.7 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 grams
- Carbohydrates: 46 grams
- Fiber: 3.7 grams
Keywords: Grilled Barbecue Tofu