With whole grain flour and no refined sugar, these ginger cookies are a healthier option for your holiday treats.
2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetables shortening
1 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup sugar (for rolling the dough in)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the first six ingredients.
3. In a large bowl, beat together the shortening with a mixer on medium for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup coconut sugar and beat until combined. Beat in the eggs and molasses. Finally, beat in the flour mixture.
4. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll them in the 1/4 cup sugar. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet, 1 1/2 inches apart.
5. Bake for 8-9 minutes or until the bottoms are light brown and the tops are puffed. Do not overbake. Cool on a cookie sheet for one minute, and then gently transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Note: Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens 100 Best Cookies