This Chicken Fajita Pasta dinner is a family favorite one-pot dinner! It’s a preview of one of the recipes in my Conquer Dinner eBook.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups diced onion (about 1 whole onion)
- 2 cups diced bell peppers (any color, 2–3 bell peppers)
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cashew cream (can sub half-and-half or heavy cream)
- 1 (15-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz (about 3 cups) penne pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- TO PREP AHEAD:
- Make the cashew cream: Boil 1-2 cups water. Remove it from the heat and wait 2 minutes. Pour the hot water over 1/2 cup cashews and allow them to soak for 15 minutes. Drain the water. Add the cashews and 1/3 cup filtered water to a blender and blend for 1-2 minutes, until super smooth and creamy. Store in an airtight container.
- If you didn’t ask the butcher to do so, cut the chicken into cubes. Place them into an airtight container.
- Dice the onion and bell peppers and place them in an airtight container.
- Mince the garlic and place it in an airtight container.
- Morning of: take out the pasta, can of diced tomatoes, and broth (unless using refrigerated broth) and place them on the counter. Measure 3 tablespoons taco seasoning and place it in a small bowl.
- TO FINISH AND SERVE:
- Season the chicken with half of taco seasoning. In a 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil over high heat. Next, add the chicken in a single layer and cook without stirring until one side is browned, about 1-2 minutes. Flip the chicken to the other side and cook until browned. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to the skillet with the heat still on high. When the oil is very hot again, add the onions, bell peppers, and remaining taco seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Turn heat to low, add minced garlic, and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove the veggies to the plate with the chicken.
- In the same skillet, add the broth, cashew cream, diced tomatoes, uncooked pasta, and salt. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 15 minutes until pasta is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Add the chicken and veggies back into the skillet and stir to combine until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: dinner
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 535
- Sugar: 13.4g
- Sodium: 880.4mg
- Fat: 15.8g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrates: 58.4g
- Fiber: 11.9g
- Protein: 38.8g
- Cholesterol: 94mg