This Apple Butternut Squash soup is vegan, gluten-free,creamy, and delicious!
- 1 butternut squash (~3 lbs)
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 large apples, cored and cut into 4-5 chunks (Peeling is optional. I like to use at least 1–2 tart apples mixed with 1–2 sweet apples)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- dash of ground nutmeg
- Peel the squash. If you have a decent vegetable peeler, that will work. I find that to be the easiest way to peel a squash. Alternatively, you may need to use a paring knife, which is more tedious.
- Remove the seeds and cut into 1-2 inch chunks. *Note: you can also roast your squash ahead of time or cook it in the slow cooker. Either method works well.
- Heat your oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Saute the onion until soft, at least 5 minutes.
- Add squash, apples,stock, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make sure the squash is nice and soft. Puree with a hand held (immersion) blender or transfer the soup, in batches, to a regular blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: soup
- Calories: 258
- Sugar: 19.1g
- Sodium: 176.6mg
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 53.5g
- Protein: 4.6g