- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (chopped if you prefer, but not necessary)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4–5 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup sherry wine (optional)
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Melt your butter in a large Dutch oven or stock pot.
- Add the carrots, onion, and celery to the pot, season with salt and pepper, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook about 3-5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of the turkey or chicken stock, thyme, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, and rice.
- Bring to a simmer and then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the sherry and turkey and simmer, uncovered, another 15-20 minutes, until the rice is cooked.
- Stir in the half and half and slivered almonds.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Add more stock if soup is too thick for your liking. Enjoy!
- Calories: 335
- Sugar: 5.5g
- Sodium: 253.7mg
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrates: 28.7g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 24.1g
- Cholesterol: 77.5mg