This Tropical Breakfast Quinoa is creamy, delicious, and enough protein to keep you full all morning long!
Have you tried quinoa for breakfast yet? I have quite a few quinoa breakfast recipes here on Happy Healthy Mama because it’s my favorite way to switch things up in the morning. Since my family and I are enjoying some tropical weather in Mexico this week, I thought I’d bring you a recipe for Tropical Breakfast Quinoa! Side note—->follow me on Instagram if you want to see some of our adventures on Instagram stories. 🙂
It’s easy to get into a breakfast rut. This quinoa breakfast will help you break right out of that rut. Anytime I find myself eating the same breakfast over and over, I look to different grains (or ancient seeds in the case of quinoa) to change things up and add more variety to my diet and my family’s diet.
When cooked with lite coconut milk and a banana, the quinoa becomes lightly sweet and very creamy. Anyone who loves a hot breakfast porridge will love having quinoa for breakfast! The toppings I included are mango and toasted coconut. The contrast of textures is perfect and the flavors pair perfectly with the banana and coconut quinoa. Of course, you can always add whatever fruit you have on hand. Strawberries or blueberries would be incredible, too!
Quinoa is a great candidate for breakfast because it’s one of the only sources of plant protein that’s a complete protein. It will fill you and your family up and fuel you with the energy you need to have an active day. This quinoa breakfast bowl has 12 grams of protein per serving.What’s your favorite way to eat quinoa? Quinoa is a healthy grain-like seed that can be incorporated into your family’s diet in so many ways. Most people only think of quinoa as a dinner food, but I love using it for breakfast and even snack. My kids love these Quinoa Peanut Butter Balls as a quick after-school snack. Have fun with quinoa!Print
Tropical Breakfast Quinoa Recipe
This Tropical Breakfast Quinoa is a creamy breakfast porridge with flavors that will transport you to a tropical island!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2-3 servings
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 (15 ounce) can lite coconut milk
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup diced mango
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened coconut chips
- In a small pan, combine the quinoa, lite coconut milk, and thinly sliced banana.
- Bring to a boil. Stir, then reduce the heat and cover.
- Simmer until the quinoa is cooked and the texture becomes creamy, 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally during the cooking time. The banana will “melt” into the quinoa during the cooking time and the stirring will help this.
- Meanwhile, place the coconut chips in a small dry skillet. Heat on medium heat a few minutes until the chips are golden brown.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, add it to two bowls and top with the mango and coconut chips.
Nutritional information is based on 2 servings.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 532
- Sugar: 23
- Fat: 28
- Carbohydrates: 60
- Fiber: 8
- Protein: 12
If you make this (or any Happy Healthy Mama recipe) I’d love to see it! Snap a pic and tag me on Instagram at @happyhealthymama Thanks!
Would you like to save this recipe for later? Here’s an image to save to your Pinterest recipe board!